Re: 0.08 Nightly

Nice, separators are in r648. I replaced the spaces with separators to squeeze a few more pixels to be useful. ;p

Another thing about the volume slider...

The volume now goes from 0% to around 400%.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't 400% a bit... overkill? I think 0-200% would make more sense for most people out there.

Also, the "snap" area around 100% volume is a little too big.

That combined with the fact that the range is 0-400% results in the following:

1) It's very difficult to adjust the volume in the "normal" range of 0-100% because the length of that range is now extremely short on the slider.

2) It's impossible to set the volume to anything between around 60% and 140% due to the "snap" area and the short length.

Hadn't noticed the thing with the slider.

I kind of like, that it goes to loud, probably won't use it much though. I usually never touch it, but sometimes I want loud over nice quality.

I think remain is right about the snap thing, just below the snap is significantly quieter (less loud?) than the snap.

Don't know if you want here or in trac. But the shorts for the volume behaves weird. When I push louder, the volume goes very quiet, and then behaves as expected, and opposite, when I push quieter the volume goes up and then behaves as expected.

@remain.

Haha... Alas it's late in the evening and I'm drunk and listening to ridiculously loud music... So rejoice for loud music.

But still I know tomorrow I need not loud music, but very silent music, maybe Leonard Cohen...

i think that it's better to have option - to choose limit to be 100/400/smth else%, actually dumb raising of signal level (if track is normalised to 0 dBfs and has comressed dynamic range) brings a LOT of audible distortions into signal due to its clipping

Yes, thats a good point.

Let the user define its upper slider limit in Cog's Preferences.

Apple released new Human Interface Guidelines, updated for Leopard.
They may be interesting.

Sorry, forgot about it. I'll make a trac ticket.
Update: Should be taken care of as r649.

Last edited by vspader (2008-01-30 17:09:37)

I've noticed an issue off and on that I can't seem to reliably reproduce. When I was playing mp3 files over an SMB share the other day, all of a sudden my audio started to skip and jerk, almost as if the connection was dropping packets. Thinking this was the problem (I'm connected via airport) I tried playing some locally stored mp3 and ogg files, these too were exhibiting the skipping/jerking problem. When I restarted Cog the problem went away, and hasn't been back since.

Cog r646, Mac OS X 10.5.1, Macbook C2D

Hey.

A small issue with the miniplayer (show/hide toolbar-function).

The file tray button should be inactivated, as it is useless... And beats the purpose of the miniplayer.

The info tray slides out in a not so pretty fashion.

I'm using studio monitors at my macbook when I'm at home and when I increase the Volume to 200/300/400% cause an mp3 "needs" it because its so quiet and then there is a mp3 in the playlist with a gain of +/-0dB the Studio Monitors will make a journey to the hell... yikes
automatically adjust the volume would great but not this shabby static method... hmm

well, but I have to say thanks for developing a "simple" mp3 player for OSX!! smile cool

Last edited by fidel (2008-02-07 12:55:02)

aw i'm missing out on all the fun sad
i'm still not in a hurry to move to leopard tbh, tho it could be time to check again if everything i want will work with it. at least now i've upgraded my hard drive i have room to consider dual booting...

some words regarding the last nightly r694:

* output control: much much much better then in the previous releases. now the function is useable again. Thanks for those changes

* seeking: WOHA. another small but great function.

* mini-player:
i am not really sure but it looks like this release has a small and un-important display bug ( i just call it like this) while minimizing to mini-player or maximizing to default player. It looks like the buttons gets temporaly streched in the last moment of the minimize/maximize action. Maybe i have just not realized this in earlier releases...now i am. Just as notice big_smile

thumbs up for your work...once again hehe.

Last edited by fidel (2008-02-13 10:07:41)

Wow, these changes sound absolutely terrific, especially the "Undo" part!  And thanks again to Andre for contributing, it makes me want to learn how to program properly (I know a bit here and there, but not much) so that I can contribute as well.  I look forward to checking them out when I move to Leopard.

Last edited by goldenband (2008-02-13 11:16:37)

I'd like to point out the new "Open With Spotlight" command that another developer, matthew, is working on. I'm thinking it would work well if integrated with the file drawer. Add a search filter to the file drawer, if you start typing in it, the outline view goes away and is replaced with the spotlight view, kind of like how finder does it.

Yes, I noticed that as well.

It seems very promising. (The window doesn't remember its size and position right now, but it's understandable considering it's a brand new feature.)

And I think adding it to the File Drawer is a great idea, since the "Open With Spotlight" window seems a bit "cut off" from the rest of the interface. Might not encourage people to use it as much.

0.08 - r717
--

* font increasing works
* store window position works

just a short question regarding window position:
In my case it always relaunched cog on the same position, but i was asking myself if it is expected that Cog does NOT saves if File Drawer was open or not.

Basically this is not a feature i do really need, i just realized this behaviour while testing the window-position itself after re-launching the app.

Thumbs up..another great release