Topic: Apple Multimedia Keys Support

Re: Apple Multimedia Keys Support

In my long, sad absence from the Cog forums, I ended up selling my MacBook Pro to get a shiny new iMac. I can assure you that the media keys work as expected big_smile

Awesome! No conflict with iTunes? Great! big_smile
Also, welcome back!

Actually, if they're both running then they'll both respond to the keypress. Never even occurred to me to test it with both Cog and iTunes running simultaneously.

I figured that, but I don't consider that to happen very often. I was just worried that iTunes would launch or something when one of them are pressed.

thats awesome... i bought the little bluetooth version of that keyboard last night, brought it home and hit play expecting it to start playing some random crap from itunes. i was very surprised to find out that it can control Cog.

thank you so much for this!!

Sorry for the bump.
The multimedia keys work absolutely fine. However I have iTunes open most of the time because of my iPhone. So both programs respond to keypresses. Is there a way to stop iTunes to listen to the multimedia keys?

Alternatively, you could go into System Preferences and check the box that forces you to to use the Fn key (above Delete on my full wired k/b) then set up Cog to respond to the multimedia keys' corresponding F-key. Eg: F7 for Previous, F8 for Play/Pause, etc. That way it looks and feels like you're using the multimedia keys without the fear of accidentally activating iTunes.

I haven't tried this but it should work...

A simple way to leave iTunes running but inhibit media keys behavior: select the Store or a device (e.g. iPhone) in the left column -- any selection that puts iTunes' playback buttons into a disabled state.

Last edited by arghwhymustiregister (2010-08-27 12:45:24)

(moved out of Archives back into Development)

I have itunes 9.2 installed and it doesn't work for me... sad iTunes starts either but doesn't play automatically, only after pressing the Play/Pause Keyboard-button again ist starts playing...

Last edited by arghwhymustiregister (2010-10-12 13:25:21)