Topic: Cog is dead

Re: Cog is dead

I hear you dude, I'm just running foobar2000 now, which was all I really wanted in the first place.
It's a hassle to set up through wine and X11, but once you get there, it's pretty sweet.

I've even gotten it to work with media keys and the remote through applescript and USB override, I'll provide information on the methods if you want me to.

Last edited by jampe (2010-04-05 15:05:24)

I don't think the word "dead" is appropriate... "mature" seems more like it to me, at least with the development build. I get the impression that Vincent did not want Cog to become bloated with too much stuff (like iTunes).

I agree that a new release based on the nightly would be good for newcomers, but I also understand the effort involved in actively maintaining software and doing releases. Vincent clearly doesn't have time or interest in further releases of Cog, but he has made the source available. I suppose the community here could do a fork, but I worry about a pile-on of new features and the resulting bugs that would arise. As it stands now, the nightly does exactly what I want to my satisfaction.

For my next semester at uni, I am going to study advanced programming.
I can be of some use at that time, but until then, aren't there anyone else? ANYONE who knows this junk well enough to make a difference?
I would trash foobar2000 in a heartbeat if we could get (actually pretty basic) features like shortcuts and album art to work with Cog.

If I have time this summer, I'll try to see if I can do something.

Understanding the existing code is the tricky part though.

I too am pretty impressed with how well foobar2000 runs in wine. Although the compatibility with multimedia keys requires an applescript workaround which is very impractical. And the filetree plugin only recognises ASCII characters.

If these problems were to be fixed somehow, it would be acceptable to run it via wine.

word!
no major bugs known as far as the nightbuild is concerned so release it eventually!!!