Topic: New to Cog 0.07 -- A few things I'm wondering about...

1.) Is there a way to modify tags through Cog? For example, if I wanted to edit an artist name, song title, etc.

2.) Once fully exited, is Cog supposed to forget all your view settings (i.e., length of columns, volume setting) once it's opened back up? Because mine does.

Re: New to Cog 0.07 -- A few things I'm wondering about...

Is 0.06 better or worse?

Thanks. Is there a way to just play a file immediately? Currently I have to load it, find it in the playlist, and then hit Play.

If you're using the 0.08 nightly builds:

Cog > Preferences...

Playlist pane

Set "When opening files" to "Clear playlist and play"

Erm... but that preference will clear the playlist for you?

Edit:

Ohh, you meant as in if you want to retain your current playlist in Cog, with the currently playing song and place in the Shuffle, if Shuffle's on.

Well, yeah, pretty much the only way is to keep the current playlist whilst playing some other file(s) is to open up another app.

Yeah, Cog's behavior when nearing the end of a song is definitely screwy.

For instance, if you try to seek (jump to another time) while a song is about to end, you won't be able to.

I believe vspader said this is because near the end of a song, the next song is started to be loaded. (for gapless playback? I don't remember)

This is definitely something that needs to be fixed someday.

Yes, this is a limitation of the current way gapless playback is implemented. At that point the playback system has no idea what file's being played by the speakers. I'm pretty sure I have a bug in trac about it.

Why can't I edit any Hot Keys in 0.08? I went to change them and it just says "Press Keys" and nothing happens.

???

You click the "Edit" button, then you enter a keyboard shortcut or a function key.

But of course, you can't set it to a single regular key, such as the "A" key.

It seems Cog has trouble playing certain files, like those MP3s ripped from MySpace. iTunes will play them, however. Why is this?

If you could email me a sample file: cog ( at ) vspader (dot) com, I'll take a look.

Another weird bug in Cog is it sometimes doesn't show the corrent lengths of a track. For example, if it's really only 44 seconds long, Cog shows it as 4:05 long.

That might be a vbr mp3 without any length header. Cog makes a quick guestimate, which may be off but otherwise it has to scan the entire mp3 file, which is fairly slow.

No, sorry. Otherwise means Cog does not do this because it slows down loading songs a bit.

How come when I close Cog and reboot my Mac it reverts back to a playlist from two months ago? It doesn't seem to want to save the last playlist used before being closed and restarted.