Re: 0.08 Nightly

Hi, I just downloaded r879 & Cog no longer plays .shn files anymore.  I get the spinning beach ball & then it quits.  Was .shn support dropped from Cog?

I need to update the Shorten plugin to work with 0.08. It's next on my list, so hopefully it'll be done this weekend.

Regarding the search field, I'll make it auto-resize...

before i go from Unstable to Nightly, just wondering if you've had time to fix that .SHN bug.  thanks!

The SHN plugin has been updated so it should be working fine. Also, I should note that you can easily revert back if the nightly blows up or is unsatisfactory. You can just reinstall the release build.

About the file window vs. drawer:
The file window is clumsy, and despite it's flexibility, it's very annoying to have two separate windows for a single application, when that application is just an audio player (and an almost flawless one, I might add.)
The ultimate solution, I think, would be to make it an option.. If it's possible.

Otherwise the best mac player out there.
Seriously, it's in the vicinity of foobar2000. I love it.

Last edited by jampe (2008-04-09 03:28:10)

I think it disappears when Cog is not on top.

Yeah, I noticed that.
It's mostly a design issue, but hey, you can't have it all smile
It just looked and worked so neat with the player

I mean, the separate window is not a problem, SINCE it disappears. Moreover, if you don't like it, just don't use it and use the Finder (the question may be: please add a menu item to add File/folders to the playlist).
I find the separate window MUCH better than a sliding pane or the old drawer (bleah...).

use the finder.. elegant smile

there's no point arguing about it, it's obviously a matter of opinion.
not everyone thinks the same, that's why it should be an option.

Umh, 0.08 still shoots CPU usage to like 180% when playing an Icecast stream. I wonder what causes this? Which is a shame, because there are literally no OS X audio players still in development capable of playing ogg streams. (VLC and mplayer don't count as audio players...)

If you need some links for testing, just ask. Not that they're hard to find, anyway.

Guess I'll use 0.07 for now.

Works fine for me.  I'm not sure I like the file pane instead of the drawer though.:/

Technically, it's not a "pane", it's a window. Panes are those with the list of pages in Preview, or the list of mailboxes in Mail.

Hm.  Cog won't open for me now.  The icon bounces once then goes no where.

Cool, thanks!

I'm using 0.07 (r909), what happened to the new toolbar UI that was in development?

Was that idea abandoned?

Oh, thanks. I get confused when both the unstable 0.07 build and the nightly 0.08 builds have the same revision number r907/909.. I thought I had the latest one but I didn't.

I'm very happy about the sidebar replacing the drawer for files. big_smile

First post! Hi all smile

I am very impressed with Version 0.08 (r910) there are obviously still a lot of issues but I think it is already very usable. Well done!

Can I make a simple request: When I have the Cog window minimised I would a click on the Dock icon to bring the app window back up (like in 99% of over OSX software). Would that be very simple to implement?

thanks
Christian

Does the Info draw really need to be so big and use sooooooooo much space up?

Really could you not just use the Status bar at the bottom of the window? Currently it displays "Total Duration". On my 15" MBP thw window does not span even 3/4 of the screen and there is still 7 inches of free space in the status bare that could easily accommodate file info. I'd also suggest the info be modified. We are dealing with audio files here.

So there should be

Format: AIFF 44100hz/16bit Stereo
Data Size: 41.72MB
Bitrate: 1411kbs

You can't calculate BPM on a DJ mix so it's a pretty pointless placing that here, perhaps that would be better in a Column.