Topic: File Drawer at bottom?

How hard would this be to implement? My problem is I presently have a small screen. My Playlists have longish names and I like to have a wide as possible main window, so even on a wider screen I'd probably still want much more room for the file drawer and want to have even more in the main window. I seldom if ever use the Info Drawer. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have to do a lot of scrolling through playlists than have the "narrow" main window and file drawer. But then, I also wonder if I wouldn't just make the main window shorter and have the file drawer somewhat taller if on the bottom. Just thinking out loud as it were. Still love Cog, and every time I revisit Play am glad for Cog.

Re: File Drawer at bottom?

No thoughts at all, y'all?

it's possible, though I don't know how well it would work. The tree requires a bit of vertical space to be usable, I think, and if you make it horizontal, there's going to be a lot of wasted space unless you get really really deep into the tree.

Well, besides the fact that some classical names can get get quite long, there's also the not all that uncommon instance where said long title is part of an overall piece which is part of a CD which is part of a set which is a part of a compilation. Talk about a tree's branches!

When I think of the Library my collection will be once I retire and get it all done, I can see having the greater horizontal space being much more valuable than the vertical space of the side drawer. That is, presently I will have to scroll down through a 6 inch tall drawer containing upwards of 2,000 CDs - all the info showing in the drawer being truncated or otherwise funky to decipher. Were the drawer below it would be much wider, accommodating most if not all information, and considering having to scroll through upwards of 2,000 CDs, not much more scrolling in a 3 inch tall drawer than the aforementioned 6 inch tall drawer. Still, a shitload of a lot of scrolling no matter where.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've got a 25gb collection that takes me at least a minute to scroll the whole way through using two-fingered scrolling on a Macbook, nevermind my iPod. If anything I think whatever is a drawer now should be an independent panel that's invisible when Cog isn't the frontmost app.

That'd work as long as drag/drop worked.

I'm game! OTOH, I just got my nerve up to estimate just what I'm talking about in my eventual library and it'll be at least 200 GBs. Hell, I'll need some kind of search function. Best I can tell Cog will search only the files in the main window. Would search be able if the files drawer was a separate window?

Search in the file drawer has been requested quite a bit. It will definitely be there at some point. Not sure when though.

Could search work in a utility window?

Yep

Thanks. I actually looked at the link. The more I think about it, without actually using it, I'm thinking there's little doubt for those of us with huge libraries and especially with deep trees of long file names, a window would be best. More, roll in search and drag/drop, and this solution would be SO much better than iTunes and Play.