Re: 0.08 Icons/Images - Help Wanted!

Last edited by jampe (2008-11-28 04:38:55)

Get rid of the og...

I wierdly like the rest. Another update, when not late and sober

I really like these icons, but I also agree with Zitz: Get rid of the 'og'.

Last edited by jampe (2008-12-02 15:26:26)

It does look pretty nice if you put the half notes there, but at a typical Dock icon size (usually not 128x128), it's kinda tiny.

Hmm... here's a thought.

How about 3 status icons: Play, Pause and Stop. (I think that'd make sense.)

This would imply that whenever Cog is "on," there will always be one of those 3 in the icon.

And when Cog is "off," well, there would be no icon, i.e., blank.

Dunno, what do you think?

Last edited by jampe (2008-12-02 16:35:37)

Ah, a subtle reference to the current icon.

Neatness.

Interesting icons, kind of steampunk. I like them and I'll keep them in mind. Maybe one day Cog will support Xtras similar to Adium. I'm very fond of the current icon though. I'll probably drop the Cog text, replacing it with a badge showing the current status (stop, play, pause). However, seeing as how the original for the current icon is raster and not fully scalable, I'll either need to get the current one remade or pick a different one.

I really love the one with the cog in the cog... in post 57.

The idea of having current status in the icon is also appealing, though.

@remain: Props for using of the word neatness in a sentence.

Last edited by jampe (2008-12-04 10:16:06)

Oh, yes, I should have asked "what has a music player to do with a cog wheel" :-)

I would only like to suggest to take into high consideration the appearance of the icon when scaled down and put in the Dock, about 40x40 px.
Having a great hires icon that looks horrible most of the time make no sense.
The icon with the note, for example, was terrible.

Last edited by olafmarzocchi (2008-12-10 05:45:31)

The latest icon is the least HIG aware icon ever seen: you don't understand what it represents unless you already know it,  the colors are the worse for people with less than 20/20 eyesight and when reduced it loses details and becomes even more confused.

They are called icons because they are not paintings or technical drawings! They must be simple, clear, without small details required for the understanding (-> Textedit has lines of text in the page, but they are useless, the pen and the page are enough).

The icons with the cog wheel are good: no small details needed to understand the icon, clear icon (the symbol inside requires no explanation and is clear also when reduced in size), strong contrast.

Why making things complicated if not needed?

@NoSmokingBandit:
The brown thing is because I guessed that vspader was too happy with the current icon to even change it at all.
It was my attempt to convince him otherwise smile

But try getting creative with it in PS yourself.
I don't think we will get very far with me guessing what you are thinking (e.g. which kind of green, etc.)
I can post the original .psd if you like

I didn't want to attack you, but many of the last ideas were so user-unfriendly that I wanted to list some of the guidelines that icon designers should follow.

Anyway, I agree with the idea of removing the inner rim, but I would avoid green/brown contrast... people with impaired vision should not be excluded (-> high "brightness" contrast is important), but let's not forget that most of the people will have good vision: green/brown is horrible in my opinion! ;-)